Khateeb:

Khateeb: Quaiser Abdullah

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

U-N-I-T-Y: Reducing the Distance between our Hearts

8/17/2012 | Ramadhan 28, 1433
Masjid Quba


(If above player does not work, click "U-N-I-T-Y: Reducing the Distance between our Hearts" for audio recording of the khutbah) - [opens in a separate window]

Brothers and sisters, the last time I was here was the Friday before Ramadhan. I spoke of hope and I recounted how Surah Adh-Dhuha is exactly that: a shifaa, a cure, a medicine for depression and hopelessness. I encouraged us to enter into Ramadhan hopeful of Allah’s mercies and eager to receive His blessings. I want to say now that if you did not accomplish all of your goals this Ramadhan, then do not despair. Each good deed you did is this month is magnified. Allah is very generous in this month, so we need to rely on His mercy to reward us for our deeds.

Brothers and sisters, the Eid is upon us. To those who will be ending their fast today and celebrating Eid tomorrow, may we say “Eid Mubarak. Kullu aam wa antum bikhair.” To those who are commemorating the Eid with the majlis Ash-Shuraa, we will announce the decision tomorrow night after maghrib on the website and FB. As we can see, there is a LOT of talk about unity. This topic is difficult for me, because I understand and believe in unity, but we need to push the discussion further. We need to push ourselves further. Some of us see this as the end goal - once we are all praying together. If that is our end goal, then we have missed key elements of unity. Unity cannot be imposed and it cannot be forced. That is uniformity. We can impose uniformity, because that is measured in external actions, in “symbols” of what we may consider unity. However, it is not the unity of the Ummah. It is not something that can be forced or imposed. Even if we made everyone pray together, that will not rid the ills of Philadelphia and more specifically, the ills of our heart. Praying together is a good thing, but it is not the end goal, it is merely a step. Our Islam has to evolve beyond pressured and imposed symbols of unity to real unity of the hearts.

What do I mean? I am excited about this Eid. I am on the planning committee and I am looking forward to seeing people come together. But, I am worried, I am worried that we will come, pray and then go back to our circles and start speaking ill of each other. Continue being suspicious of each other. Continue slandering each other. Real unity comes about when we reduce the distance between the hearts of our brothers and sisters. This is something that we have to work on individually. This is not something the Amir or Imam can do for you. This is something that YOU have to be responsible for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment